September is always such an exciting time, even more so if you start a new job. It’s all there before you. So what do you do with your class on the first few days? Here are a few activities that I would like to use in the first few days with a new class but first a fantastic advert for back to school.
Thanks to @turrean for sharing this.
- I would definitely want the children to create a Museum Box about themselves to share with the class. I know this is designed for historical study but it can be used for a whole variety of purposes. You could make one about a book that you are sharing as a class or you could make it about yourself. Text, images, sounds and video can be added. The cubes could be family, hobbies, pets etc. Much more fun than writing about your holiday.
- Simile of the Day Generator. This does what it says and generates similes. The challenge for children is to see if they really do work. The one I am thinking about at the moment is ‘Happiness is like a vacuum cleaner.’ The questions is why? Would some work better as metaphors and be extended? Great fun to be had here. Thanks @russeltarr for sharing this.
- Thriller Whizz. I wrote about this before the summer holiday. Great for playing with words. Thanks to @mrwarner and @timrylands for this one.
- How about creating your own error message. What would your computer say to you?
Thanks again to @timrylands for this idea.
- mustpopwords is quite an addictive little game. Have it ready loaded to play so that you don’t have to run the risk of any adverts that might be inappropriate. Children can shout out the words they see and you can type. I’m afraid my highest score isn’t high enough to share!
What are your favourite activities to do with a new class?