We live in a new world as far as assessment goes and for many this is a very unsettling time. Over the last few months we have been asked frequently about which tests we would recommend. This is an almost impossible question to answer because it depends on so many things. Instead, here is a list of questions that should be asked in order to get the right test for each situation.
- What do you want the test to tell you? Do you want to know about a child’s decoding, comprehension, reading age, progress in relation to the curriculum, spelling age, single word spelling, spelling in context etc.
- Can you find this information out any other way? Is testing the best/only way of finding out this information?
- Are there easy-to-use analysis tools that come with the test?
- Are you concerned about the reliability of the test?
- How often do you want to test?
- How much are you prepared to spend on testing each year?
The answers to these should help guide you through the wide and varied range of tests available.
Are you using any tests? Are they doing what you want them to do?