What would his bedroom look like?

Imagine a friday night.  You sit down with your glass of wine and think I will just check in with facebook and twitter and then stop working.  And then, twitter manages to show you something that you think about all weekend.  An idea  so inspiring that even when you are choosing the oranges in Tescos you are thinking – How could I use this?

Hats off to St Peters in Bournemouth!  What an exciting place to work and to be a student.  The blog post Pimp my Classroom: 8 ways to confuse the cleaner was what set me off, in particular the images from No.4 The Expert’s Bedroom and the timeline displayed at the top of the post.  What I  have thought about all weekend is how could I use them and so, DPSCITT trainees, I have come up with some ways.

The timeline was based on an idea from Sara Fanelli at the Tate.  I have her book The Onion’s Great Escape which invites the reader to

timeline2smalltimelinerespond in the book by drawing, doodling and reflecting. I think the timeline may do the same.  It is created as a small, fan  folded piece of card in an envelope.  This I love!  After much thought, I think I can best use this when we look at reading and explore  children’s literature.  We could make a timeline  of significant children’s authors with links to current authors, e.g. if you like this, then you might also like this.  Amazon does this nowadays and it is the very essence of a good bookshop and school library.  It is what teachers need to do to encourage and broaden children’s reading experiences.

It is The Expert’s Bedroom that I am most excited about.

expertbedroom Imagine what a  particular person’s bedroom looked like when they were a child.  I think that this great idea could be used as an outcome for an author study.  Imagine what the bedroom of Eric Carle as a child would be like.  This is exactly what I intend to do with the trainee teachers, and then create it!  Through this activity we can explore Eric Carle but we can also discuss how to negotiate setting up role play areas with children and how we can use challenges to alter their play in the space.

The images are organised as a timeline and tell the story as you go round.  I still can’t tell how they created the wardrobe on the doorway though!  I might not be able to create that part.

There are other things though on the blog that I am still thinking about, e.g. critique gallerys, Austin’s butterfly (surely that is what writing is all about) and teachers as reasearchers.

What have you donne in your learning environment that will stimulate your learners?