Hyperlinked texts – the cat’s cradle of writing

Day 11 of 20 days to better blogging is thinking about how we write hyperlinked texts and how we can share this with children.  Budtheteacher has been thinking about hyperlinked writing  and has, over time, created a series of posts about it. In fact, what did you do about the hyperlinks in the previous sentences?

I have read several papers about hyperlinked writing being a new genre but I am not sure about that.  A set of instuctions is a set of instructions whether it has hyperlinks or not.  At the present time I am more inclined to think that it is a new way of writing already known genre, but I am open to being persuaded that I am wrong.

For me, hyperlinks introduce me to the blogs and articles that have been part of the idea formation for the post.  They give me a trail that shows how thoughts have come together and they provide extra information.  In fact they give a text depth and a richness that I miss when reading online and hyperlinks are not used.

So, the question is should we be teaching primary school children how to write hyperlinked texts?  I am sure I am hearing an overwhelming YES.  Below are some ideas to support teaching about hyperlinking:

• when planning a post, create a mind-map that draws in the resources that you have used
  • give all children the same piece of text and ask them to add hyperlinks where they think they would be important.  These can then be shared and the differences explored in relation to the experience for the reader
  • when reading blog posts, try to draw up a list that categorises why people have hyperlinked.  What are the conventions of hyperlinking?
  • read hyperlinked posts in shared reading and discuss whether to click on the hyperlink or not and what you are expecting if you do.  What happens then?  Do you return to the text or follow other lines of enquiry?

Your challenge today is to explore hyperlinking with children and to model writing a post that includes hyperlinks.

Image Cat’s Cradle by Steve C

2 thoughts on “Hyperlinked texts – the cat’s cradle of writing

1. I think the key to thinking about hypertext is the associative power of how we connect one idea to another. What makes “this” link to “that” and what does that choice say about our writing …. this is most interesting to me.
    Kevin

• I couldn’t agree more with you and I think this is what makes it a new way of writing where those thought links are visible.