Using Animoto, Slideshare and BigHugeLabs

I recently joined a fantastic group called Images4Education where as a very large, international group we are undertaking a six week course in using images in education.  Our task for week 3 was to use  some photographs and try out three slide shows; Animoto, Slideshare and BigHugeLabs.  I was already familiar with the first two so thought that I would use the same photos in each slideshow and share what I learnt about them and when I might use them in the classroom with children.

The images I used were all taken on a project launch that we had earlier in January looking at improving writing.  One of the aspects that we modelled was creating a working wall.  This is a temporary display that we build as we move through a teaching sequence.  These images show the working wall.

This first show is created in Animoto.  What is good about this is you input your images, add some music from their collection of music, thus avoiding copyright issues, and then Animoto will put it all together for you. 

BigHugeLabs is something that was new to me.  Another good name for it is Flickr toys!  To use this site you need a Flickr account .  You input your slides from Flickr, organise the order and your presentation is made.  The disappointing aspect of this is that there is no embed code only a URL code so it doesn’t look as good on blogs or wikis. (If I missed the embed code and someone knows about it please let me know)

View slideshow

And finally SlideShare.  Here you upload your powerpoint and, if you want, a voice track which I made in Audacity. The programme then allows you to section the sound track to synchronise with the slides which is quite nifty.

View more presentations or upload your own. (tags: teaching literacy)

So what did I learn?

• Sort out the orientation of your slides in Flickr before importing into BigHugeLabs
  • For the purposes of my slideshow, Slideshare was the most appropriate.
  • Although BigHugeLabs was easy to use, the fact that I can’t embed it means that I don’t think it is quite as useful as the other two.  The image quality is very good.
  • Animoto is great where you want the images to do the talking.  I have an educator account and so can make much longer videos.  It is worth signing up for one.

Overall, it is clear the that the purpose of your show will determine which tool you use.

Links to other posts:

Let me know what your experiences are of these three tools.

4 thoughts on “Using Animoto, Slideshare and BigHugeLabs

1. Thanks Cheryl. I am really enjoying the course. You must be very busy responding to everyone but it is very much appreciated.