20 Days to Better Blogging with Children

20 Days to Better Blogging with Children is a project designed to support teachers who are new to blogging but who would like to start using it or those who have started but would like to go a little further. This page has links to all the tasks as they are written.  Some of the tasks will take you longer than a day so don’t rush or feel pressured to complete them within a given set of time.

If you are already blogging with children there will be some posts that you can miss out.  You can just scan through the tasks and complete the ones that are relevant for you.

Why should children blog?

There are many reasons why children should blog.  First and foremost, it helps children to develop their own voice as a writer.   It allows children a reasonably low tech way of conveying messages that involve text, sound, photos and videos.  If you use the Primary Strategy Literacy framework you will know that there are objectives relating to this starting in Yr 1.   Blogging allows childen the opportunity to reflect on their learning and to enter into a discussion with their readers through comments.  And on top of all this it will allow children to improve their writing because audience and purpose are all.

Tasks

Many thanks to the 31 days to better blogging project that I have been involved with.  This project has also been entered for the edublogs 1st birthday posting challenge.

22 thoughts on “20 Days to Better Blogging with Children

1. Great post Joy! What a great idea – did you adapt the 31 Day Blog Challenge to a 20 Day Blogging Project for Students? And congratulations on being one of the Edublogger Birthday Competition Winners!

• Thanks Errin and congratulations to you too! Yes I did adapt the 31 days challenge that we are involved in. I learnt so much about blogging from it. I have seen blogs where teachers share great writing from their students but I wanted an authentic blogging experience for children where the boundaries between being the reader and writer blur.
      I am looking forward to seeing how your experience goes with your students.

2. […] This site has some excellent blogging tips for teachers, especially for those who are new to blogging. Check it out! There are many reasons why children should blog. First and foremost, it helps children to develop their own voice as a writer. It allows children a reasonably low tech way of conveying messages that involve text, sound, photos and videos. … Blogging allows children the opportunity to reflect on their learning and to enter into a discussion with their readers through comments. And on top of all this it will allow children to improve their writing because audience and purpose are all. […]

3. Kids can learn a vast amount of web and tracking skills that are necessary throughout theiir entire education. Good job on the post. I teach science, so I can see a number of uses for a blog.

4. Kids are pretty smart these days, and I’m sure most of them will have a blog some day. Great blog post btw!